- Mix the following into a paste: 55 g unsalted butter, 100 g shiro miso, 25 g sugar, 15 mL rice wine vinegar, 15 mL caramelized amazake, and a generous spoonful of your favorite curry powder to taste.
- Rub the paste on & under the chicken skin. Reserve remaining paste. Let cure at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Clean & peel vegetables for roasting such as regular & sweet potatoes (1 each), 3 carrots, several stalks of asparagus, 1 onion, & one head of garlic.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F/235 C, and in the meantime position the vegetables & chicken in a roasting pan. Rub the remaining miso paste on the vegetables. Grind fresh black pepper over the chicken and vegetables.
- Once preheated, place the chicken in the oven & lower the temperature to 400 F/205 C.
- Roast the chicken for about 60 minutes, or until the flesh of the thigh near the main joint is between 150 F and 155 F (65 C – 68 C). If the miso crust on the top of the chicken is verging on burning at any time, place a piece of aluminum foil loosely over it to shield it from direct heat. However, the miso-curry crust will get quite dark & still be delicious.
- Once the chicken is at the proper temperature, move it to a plate to rest. Cover the vegetables & cook further until tender. Serve with short-grain #Japanese rice. Spoon the miso-curry chicken pan juices over the chicken, vegetables & rice just before serving.